Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rosedale Book Club

Sheila Johnson a good friend of mine had wanted to join a Book Club for sometime however she decided to have a go at starting one up. The aim is to share books that have been read in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. We had 7 members for our first meeting. We decided to give our club a name- it was not difficult to decide on Rosedale as we had our first meeting last Thursday at her house in Rosedale place. As such we all decided on “Rosedale Book Club”.
We meet once a month, every 2nd Thursday @ 7.30pm of each month. Each member is to take a turn hosting the evening (glass of wine/juice/water to begin with then later cake and coffee/tea).
I will be hosting the second meeting next month at my house! Really looking forward to it.
We also had an arrangement whereby each member is to contribute $10 each month towards next set of books. The person hosting the next meeting will buy books of their choice.
For our First Book Club meeting each of us brought one or two books that we could it lend to our members.
I selected “The Bonesetter’s Daughter” By Amy Tan highly recommended by our member Rosa-Jane French.


It’s a dramatic tale of love, loss and betrayal in provincial China. I am now half way through the book and my mind kept flashing back to my own grandmother’s tale of her life in china as a child bride and how she escaped in the middle of the night with my mom who was then only 7 years old on a horrendous boat journey to Malaya. I really have to sit down and write down her memories before I forget them!

No comments: