Saturday, March 15, 2008

Child Cancer Foundation Street Appeal 2008

Today I volunteer my time to help the Child Cancer Foundation Street Appeal 2008. This is the first time in my life I stood outside a mall collecting to support children with cancer and their families. The first hour I had mixed feelings from anger to self pity but as the donations poured in by the passer-by, I became emotional. I teared at every dollar or coin put in the box by the generous people.I know we are not alone (which I often felt before)on this journey there`are thousands supporting us. People whom we may not know but has generously given to the foundation.
We had great support from the Child Cancer Foundation New Zealand when our child was diagnosed with cancer.When I came back home I went straight to the shower and cried my heart out ( I had held on to my tears the last 9 months) . I felt so calm and its so healing. I felt good being able to contribute as a volunteer to help others as others have help us. It is so therapeutic.I have decided to be a permanent volunteer for any event in the future.
I realised that my contribution to raise money helps the foundation to provide vital services to children such as financial assistance , including assistance`with travel, food and accommodation, children's education (often disrupted with treatment), fund research programs on childhood cancer.

Do visit the foundation website for more information: http://www.childcancer.org.nz

Funds raised in 2007 were used to introduce the Beads of Courage Programme in paediatric oncology wards throughout the country. Each small and colourful bead signified a different treatment of every child’s courageous battle with cancer, whether that be braving another injection, surgery,x-rays, scans, hair-loss, isolation room, clinic visits, radiotherapy sessions or completing a chemotherapy session.



My son's "Beads of Courage"

The new face of appeal for 2008 is Beautiful PETRA HANCOCK
Five and half year old Petra Hancock exudes personality. She's cheeky, she’s affectionate, she’s got boundless energy and she just loves to play.



HELP US HELP BRAVE KIDS LIKE PETRA AT http://www.petrasbeads.co.nz

The 2008 Child Cancer Foundation Annual Appeal is now underway and we are seeking your generous support to help us raise funds to support kids with cancer, their families and the health professionals who care for them. Please visit www.petrasbeads.co.nz and add another special bead to Petra’s necklace by making an online donation.


No comments: