Friday, January 25, 2008

Winters in my life



"The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy." -- Florence Shinn

In May 2006, I remembered advising a young man,Edwin about studying abroad. He is in the mist of preparing for a 3 year business degree at the Canterbury University, Christchurch.

His mom brought him to see me to give him some motivation and pep talk. He is the eldest and is well sheltered and protected throughout his 18years. Leaving home for further studies overseas is the biggest decision he had to make! His parents had high hopes for him.

I can feel his reluctance to leave the comfort of home. He is not prepared to experience the cold winter in Christchurch. I started to tell him about the 4 seasons and how in Malaysia we had only one season, tropical climate, sunny whole year round. However our daily lives is full of challenges just like the four seasons.

I told him that when he graduates, he would have learnt the "seasons of life" and if he ever encounter winters in Malaysia, he will realized that :- no problems are impossible to solve!. Most of us have a life path that is like the four seasons, sometimes is beautiful like the flowers in spring and at other times it's like winter, cold and depressing.

With overseas exposure, living and learning about the different cultures, color ,creed , climatic conditions coupled with quality tertiary education , he will be a better, stronger, sensible and a wiser person.

He left for Christchurch and within a week he came back home to the disappointment of his family especially his parents.

His a reason " I can't stand the cold winter in New Zealand."

"The seasons do not push one another; neither do clouds race the wind across the sky. All things happen in their own good time." Dan Millman
Reflecting back what I have told him, I realized that I have been in New Zealand since January 2007, the winter season had not left us.

It is summer now, yet my life and that of all the members of my immediate and extended family- it is still winter.

We are waiting for sunshine! Summer is yet to come to our family.

The winter we had is almost 8 months. It has been a long and harsh winter.

Today is the last day…….Tomorrow will be my family’s first day of spring.



"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." Anne Bradstreet


No comments: