Wednesday, August 06, 2008

From Facebook to My Online Shop

Last year I watch my sons, nephews, nieces and cousins and their friends all having facebook accounts and having fun getting touch with each others. Knowing in detail what others do, sending high hives, drinks, flowers creating network etc.
Last October ('07)I decided to embark on having a facebook account myself. I love the idea of my son’s friend commenting how cool I am and I will reply proudly that I have Bebo, Friendster, multiple and I am Blogging too!
Over the months I grew tired it. So I decided to just maintain Facebook and my blog. Last month I realised I am spending unproductive time (hours in fact) on facebook, viewing friends’ album after album, sending silly messages to each other at my age.
So one day in July ('08) I decided not to open my facebook for the day.
An account on how I spend that one day day:-
1) After sending my son to school, I got home and did 30 min of exercising with WiiFit. I did 5 mins of yoga, 10mins jogging and the remaining time on table tilt.

It’s so additive so I decided to stop and had a hot bath in the freezing winter.
2) Soak myself in hot water and bubbles and browse through Creative Beading magazine. 3) Sat down for a cup of coffee and read a book recommended by my friend. Finished reading half the book (an easy book to read). Decide to keep the remaining pages for the next day. 4) Wanted to do something physical so decided to rearrange and spring clean my kitchen drawers and the fridge ( very satisfying indeed)
5) All the above activities were all accomplish from 9.00am to 1.00am, got a call from my son to pick him at the library at 4.00pm.
6) Since he won’t be home for lunch, I then make a bowl of steaming hot and spicy Korean instant noodles.

7) Restless I just stare at the jewelries I made and decided to try some on. While fiddling with some earrings almost instantly I decided on creating an online shop. For the first time of the day I switched on my computer, checked my email and a beautiful friend Heidi recommended to me about buying gemstones and findings at esty.com. (Talk about timing!) While browsing through the site instead of becoming a buyer I decided on being a seller as while. So that afternoon, my first online shop http://clothbutterfly.etsy.com/ was established.
To date I have 22 items up for sale!
8) Looking back on that faithful day, I decided to maintain facebook with my family, some friends and classmates whom I have accepted earlier. From today onwards, I am sorry to say that I will not include any new friends or network. It’s more productive to keep in touch by email, a letter or a call. It’s more personal and bonding. No wonder my sons and their friends are addicted to the computer from facebook to youtube!Look at my day when I moved out of facebook!.

My latest creation bookmark!


anyone interested check out http://clothbutterfly.etsy.com/

From this day onwards, my days are productive and each evening before I retired I will recall one benefit for which I am thankful.



<

No comments: